The 5 Love & Money Lessons Women Can Learn From Scandal’s Olivia Pope
I must admit that I am addicted to the TV Show Scandal. My Facebook commentary is the highlight of my week, As a financial expert who focuses on women I love how Olivia Pope’s character gives a fresh look at career success and wielding power. She exudes strength, empathy and independence wrapped up in the perfect package. However, what the show’s creator Shonda Rhimes has triumphed at is showing all women that looking and acting the part does not necessarily equate with happiness and success.
Here are the five love and money lessons that women can learn from Olivia Pope:
- You can’t fix O.P.P. Other peoples problems have been created by and for each person to solve themselves otherwise they are doomed to repeat them.
- How he treats his wife is how he will treat you. In the words of my husband, “relationships are hard.” When you see a couple going through some things exit right and refer to lesson number 1.
- Trust trumps everything. Every relationship has it’s ups and downs and if it begins on shaky ground both parties will be looking over each others shoulder with doubt and suspicion.
- Get a Life. You are not your job. Don’t equate your career to success. The people that you work with are not family. They are colleagues and you rely on each other to achieve business objectives. In order for colleagues to become friends and be like family there can’t be any strings attached.
- Check yourself before you wreck yourself! We have all been given a conscience for a reason but it is not foolproof. If our belief system changes to make evil acceptable than we can be fooled into thinking we are doing the right thing.
I’m sure there are more to lessons to learn from our Gladiator Olivia Pope and I can’t wait for the next episode of Scandal. How about you?